Assault on Morrow Mountain
April 9 - October 7
All Riders Must Register Online And Complete The Ride Waiver & Release. We Do Not Offer Walk-up Registration.
The Assault on Morrow Mountain series is back for 2022 and includes four scheduled ride dates. Now in its 16th season, the series attracts a wide range of cyclists from all around the Carolinas. You'll enjoy quiet country roads and beautiful scenery on this 64-mile route from Locust, NC, to the top of Morrow Mountain and back. This is the best supported "un-supported" ride you will ever do. We provide electronic route files, printable cue sheets, radio dispatched SAG support, 2 water stops, lots of encouragement, and an ICE-COLD Coke at the finish line.
We have dropped the price this year down to $6. Mainly because we have inside access to the school again and won't need to rent the porta-jons. But mostly because we don't care much for podiums, pro payouts, and cold BBQ sandwiches after a ride. We try to keep it simple, make it safe, always have fun, and donate whatever is left over to a worthy cause. So far, So good!
2022 Ride Dates: June 18th, August 6th, and October 8th
Start Time: All rides start at 8:00 am. Make plans to arrive early enough to park and check in.
Start Location: West Stanly Middle School – 339 Running Creek Church Rd, Locust, NC (See map link below)
Ride Distance: 64-miles.
Difficulty: The route is best suited for Intermediate and Advanced level riders on a properly equipped and maintained road bike. The 64-mile route includes travel on open public roads, strenuous climbs, and fast descents.
SAG / Safety: Our radio team will be in place to provide reliable communications and SAG for the entire ride.
Facilities: We have indoor facilities at the start of the ride and at the top of Morrow Mountain (mile 34).
Rest Stops: We provide 2 water stops. One at the top of Morrow Mountain, mile 34, and one at mile 54.
Weather: The ride will be canceled if the temperature is below 40 degrees at the start or if the chance of rain exceeds 40% before 11 am. Weather-related cancellations will be made no later than 6 am on the day of the ride and are based on current weather predictions for Albemarle, NC. Cancellations will be posted on WeeklyRides.com and on the Facebook event page.
- All riders must complete the online registration form, including the event Waiver & Release. We are not offering walk-up registration.
- Helmets are required.
- You must be 18 years old or older to participate in this ride.
- Please do not ride on aero bars unless you are at the back of your group.
- There is a strict "NO ALCOHOL" rule on school property. Violations can affect our permit and the entire series.
- The speed limit inside the Morrow Mountain State Park is 25mph. It is strictly enforced by the rangers. Riders cannot exceed the speed limit, especially while descending the mountain. Violations can affect our permit and the entire series.
- All details are subject to change.
COVID-19: We are excited to be in a position now to hold our events. We want to continue to be respectful of everyone including our riders and volunteers so we ask that all participants follow a few common-sense guidelines.
- If you feel sick, please stay at home.
- Registration and payment must be completed online. Rider check-in will be available at the start. We will not offer walk-up registration or payment for this event.
- SAG drivers may request that you wear a mask if being SAG'd. We will have hand sanitizer and mask available if you don't bring your own. Please respect the wishes of our volunteers at all times.
- We will ask that all participants be aware of social distancing when waiting in line to use the facilities or when lining up to start the ride.